Bottom Round Roast Ideas

Looking for recipe ideas using the bottom round roast. I’ve accumulated a few and just don’t know the best way to prepare it. I’ve tried pot roast style and its dry. I’ve tried roasting it to med-rare and its tough. Anyone have a good recipe for this cut? Thanks in advance!

1 Like

@jennifmcc sorry you’re experiencing our beef roast as coming out dry! We have a couple of ideas here (one of which involves slicing the meat thinly for a stir fry).

If you like the low and slow, I’m personally a huge fan of braising any of our roast cuts (or steaks that come from the chuck, or beef shanks, or really any end cuts!). One of my personal favorites is NYT Cooking’s lamb tagine, but with beef. I made a couple of adjustments. The whole prep is below!: Lamb Tagine

Let us know how it goes!

3 pounds beef roast, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
2 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, more as needed
1 ¾ cups lamb or chicken stock
5 ounces (1 cup) dried apricots
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, more as needed
2 large onions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon tomato paste
½ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 small cinnamon stick
Large pinch saffron
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¾ teaspoon ground turmeric
¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
⅓ cup fresh cilantro, chopped

Optional:

1 tablespoon unsalted butter

1 small cinnamon stick
½ cup slivered almonds
2 scallions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Fresh lemon juice, to taste

My own notes:

I didn’t cube the beef - just browned it in pieces and let braise for a little while longer to get fully tender. I also didn’t do any of the fancy instructions post step 4 - I just cooked it and served with rice or couscous

PREPARATION

1. In a large bowl, combine beef and 2 teaspoons salt. Let sit at room temperature at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
  2. In a small pot, bring stock to a boil. Remove from heat, add apricots, and let sit at least 15 minutes.
  3. Heat oven to 325 degrees. In a tagine, Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot with a tightfitting lid, warm 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat until hot. Working in batches, add beef to pot, leaving room around each piece (this will help them brown). Cook until well browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer pieces to a plate as they brown.
  4. Drain fat, if necessary, leaving just enough to coat the bottom of the pot. Add onions and 1/4 teaspoon salt, and cook until soft, about 8 minutes. Add tomato paste, ginger, 1 cinnamon stick and the spices, and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add beef and any juices on the plate, the apricots and stock, and half the cilantro. Cover pot with foil and then its lid, and cook in oven for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until beef is tender, turning it occasionally. (If using a tagine, you don’t need to use foil.) Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.

Optional:

1. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat butter and 1 cinnamon stick over medium heat. Add almonds and 1/4 teaspoon salt, and cook until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Discard cinnamon stick.
  2. To serve, transfer beef and juices to a serving platter. Top with toasted almonds and any butter left in the small skillet, scallions, parsley and remaining cilantro. Sprinkle with fresh lemon juice to taste. Serve with flatbread or couscous, if desired.
1 Like

I made this recipe last week with a bottom round roast that I had gotten from another delivery service. I’m sure the Walden beef would work well with it. It’s from Cook’s Country:

Bottom Round Roast Beef with Zip-Style Sauce

GATHER YOUR INGREDIENTS

Beef

1 (4-pound) boneless beef bottom round roast, trimmed

Kosher salt and pepper

1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary

1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme

2 tablespoons

vegetable oil

Zip-Style Sauce

8 tablespoons

unsalted butter

½ cup

Worcestershire sauce

2 garlic cloves, minced

2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary

1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme

½ teaspoon

kosher salt

½ teaspoon pepper

VIEW INGREDIENTS

View Nutritional Informationi

KEY EQUIPMENT

KEY EQUIPMENT - Measuring Spoons

Measuring Spoons

BEFORE YOU BEGIN

We recommend cooking this roast to medium for ease of slicing. Open the oven door as little as possible, and remove the roast from the oven when taking its temperature to prevent dropping the oven temperature too drastically. Because the sauce contains butter, it will solidify as it cools, so it’s best kept warm for serving.

INSTRUCTIONS

FOR THE BEEF: Pat roast dry with paper towels and sprinkle with 2 ­teaspoons salt. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 250 degrees. Set wire rack in rimmed baking sheet. Combine rosemary, thyme, 2 teaspoons pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt in bowl.

Pat roast dry with paper towels. Brush roast all over with oil and sprinkle with herb mixture; place fat side up on prepared wire rack. Transfer to oven and cook until meat registers 120 degrees, 1 3/4 hours to 2 1/4 hours. Turn off oven and leave roast in oven, without opening door, until meat registers 135 degrees (for medium), 20 to 30 minutes longer. Transfer roast to carving board, tent with aluminum foil, and let rest for 30 minutes.

FOR THE ZIP-STYLE SAUCE: Meanwhile, bring butter, Worcestershire, garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper to bare simmer in small saucepan over medium heat, whisking ­constantly. Remove from heat, cover, and keep warm.

Slice roast thin against grain and serve with sauce.

1 Like

Thank you for the recipe @mwk !
I’m excited for the fall weather to start doing some of these longer roasts.