Easy Open Packaging

I always find your packaging somewhat difficult to open. Particularly for things like burger patties. Have you thought about easy open packaging?

2 Likes

Hey @hmflynn810! I can definitely understand where you are coming from on the packaging. We vacuum seal our share items before freezing as we’ve found this the best way to maintain nutrition, taste and shelf life in your fridge. Generally I take scissors and cut all the way around the vacuum seal to get everything out (a little trickier on the patties).

Changing up the packaging to something a bit more “easy open” would require testing and likely a few new machines in our Vermont processing facility. Appreciate the feedback, and I’ll make sure to mention this at our next warehouse meeting!

1 Like

The burger patties really are one of the worst things to open from Walden. But after doing it a handful of times you just expect it by now and plan ahead.

The blueberry sausages take the cake though when it comes to trying to open and then pry them apart.

Every other delivery has a package that didn’t seal very well. Sometimes it’s noticeable and you just defrost and cook immediately and hope for the best and other times you only realize it after it’s fully defrosted.
Going to an easy open package might make those instances higher.

A tip on the blueberry sausages: if you’re cooking them all at once if you stick them in the hot skillet while still frozen, the heat will melt them quickly and make it super easy to pry them apart from each other (and the paper)!

1 Like

thanks for the awesome information.

1 Like

thanks for the awesome information.

1 Like

I agree the packaging is difficult. However, I wish it was more rugged. About 1 out of every 10 packages has very small holes which cause freezer burn.

I have also had issues with the packaging not being completely sealed. I’ve had things defrosting in the fridge and had packages leaking blood because they weren’t completely sealed or had a hole somewhere.

This is very helpful feedback for us! Over time we have increased the thickness of the plastic on our packaging to keep working on this. Unfortunately while our fulfillment team is able to catch the majority of broken package issues, with the items being frozen it can be quite difficult to catch every minor gap in the seal or slight hole on the packaging. Thankfully the items are all kept frozen so they are safe to consume (and enjoy!) even if the seal is compromised when defrosted. We always recommend defrosting on a plate just in case, and due to condensation that will come off of the package. Items in which the seal is compromised are safe to consume within 2-3 days of defrosting, as opposed to our standard 14 days for items with the vacuum seal in tact.

1 Like