I need advice on how to cook a prime rib.

I have a 5.8 pound prime rib from the half cow we bought earlier this year. I’ve never cooked a prime rib before and would like to hear suggestions. I also have a smoker. I’m currently using hickory, but also have pecan wood for smoking.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Hi Jenny, prime rib is amazing! I have never cooked one on a smoker, but this is how I made mine for Christmas last year was:

• Season the Prime Rib with salt and then rest in the fridge for 1 to 2 days (this allows the salt to penetrate into the meat.)
  • On the day of cooking, I placed the Prime Rib into a large pan, along with onions, carrots, and celery and roasted at a high temp until the outside was nice and browned. Then I reduced the heat to 325 and roasted it until the internal temp was 120. (about an hour, but i checked every 30 minutes)
  • Once the meat is cooked, remove it from the pan and let it rest.
  • While it is resting, use the left over vegetables in the pan to make a pan gravy. Fresh herbs and garlic are a great addition :slight_smile:
  • After 30 minutes, slice into the Prime Rib and enjoy!

Basic with Babish also has a great youtube video which makes a full holiday Prime Rib dinner, which I also highly recommend!

Happy Cooking :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Jenny,

I’ve done this slow-roasted method many times and it’s never disappointed. Basically a reverse sear. You season, cook in a (relatively) low oven until rare, pull it, and finish later (closer to dinnertime) in a super hot oven. Slow-Roasted Prime Rib - How to Make The Easiest Way - YouTube

If you wanted to do the “low oven” portion on a smoker, that would be amazing!

1 Like