I need advice on how to cook a prime rib.

I have a 5.8 pound prime rib from the half cow we bought earlier this year. I’ve never cooked a prime rib before and would like to hear suggestions. I also have a smoker. I’m currently using hickory, but also have pecan wood for smoking.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Hi Jenny, prime rib is amazing! I have never cooked one on a smoker, but this is how I made mine for Christmas last year was:

• Season the Prime Rib with salt and then rest in the fridge for 1 to 2 days (this allows the salt to penetrate into the meat.)
  • On the day of cooking, I placed the Prime Rib into a large pan, along with onions, carrots, and celery and roasted at a high temp until the outside was nice and browned. Then I reduced the heat to 325 and roasted it until the internal temp was 120. (about an hour, but i checked every 30 minutes)
  • Once the meat is cooked, remove it from the pan and let it rest.
  • While it is resting, use the left over vegetables in the pan to make a pan gravy. Fresh herbs and garlic are a great addition :slight_smile:
  • After 30 minutes, slice into the Prime Rib and enjoy!

Basic with Babish also has a great youtube video which makes a full holiday Prime Rib dinner, which I also highly recommend!

Happy Cooking :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Jenny,

I’ve done this slow-roasted method many times and it’s never disappointed. Basically a reverse sear. You season, cook in a (relatively) low oven until rare, pull it, and finish later (closer to dinnertime) in a super hot oven. Slow-Roasted Prime Rib - How to Make The Easiest Way - YouTube

If you wanted to do the “low oven” portion on a smoker, that would be amazing!

1 Like

Cooking a prime rib can be a delicious and impressive meal, and using a smoker will add an extra level of flavor. Here’s how you can do it:

1. Remove the roast from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for about 2 hours before cooking.
  2. Preheat your smoker to 250°F (121°C) and set it up for indirect heat.
  3. Season the roast generously with salt, pepper, and any other herbs or spices of your choice.
  4. Place the roast in the smoker and smoke for about 2 hours, or until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 115°F (46°C).
  5. Increase the temperature of your smoker to 325°F (163°C) and continue cooking until the internal temperature of the roast reaches your desired level of doneness. For medium-rare, aim for an internal temperature of 130°F (54°C).
  6. Once the roast has reached the desired temperature, remove it from the smoker and let it rest for at least 10 minutes before carving and serving.

You can use either hickory or pecan wood for smoking, depending on your personal preference. Hickory is a strong, smoky flavor that works well with beef, while pecan is a milder flavor that adds a sweet and nutty note to the meat.