Tri Tip Steak Question

Hi. Does anyone have a great recipe or tips for cooking Tri Tip Steak? I’ve never cooked it before. Any suggestions would be great,y appreciated!
Thanks!

Hello @Stew22 ! Here are some tips from our cut guide! Hope this helps.

Tri-Tip Steak

The Cut
The tri-tip steak is a triangular shaped cut that comes from the bottom of a sirloin. You may also see this steak referred to as a bottom sirloin, or a Santa Maria steak (due to its popularity in California). Even though this steak is lean, it still has enough fat content to pack a big flavor. This cut can be hard to find, but our butcher shop is always happy to whip up a tri-tip for you!

How to Cook
Lean, tender, and flavorful, Tri-Tip Steak works well with smoking, grilling, and roasting. We recommend cooking to a medium-rare internal temperature of 135 degrees F.

Pan Seared Top Sirloin:

1. Pat dry – use paper towels to pat the steaks dry to get a perfect sear and reduce oil splatter.
  2. Season generously – just before cooking steaks, sprinkle both sides liberally with salt and pepper.
  3. Preheat the pan (ideally cast iron) on medium and brush with oil. Using just 1/2 Tbsp oil reduces splatter.
  4. Sear steaks – add steaks and sear each side 3-4 minutes until a brown crust has formed then use tongs to turn steaks on their sides and sear edges (1 min per edge).
  5. Add butter and aromatics – melt in butter with quartered garlic cloves and rosemary sprigs. Tilt pan to spoon garlic butter over steaks and cook to your desired doneness.
  6. If the steak becomes charred too quickly, you can pop it into the office to finish. The oven should be 350 degrees F. Cook until the steak reaches a medium-rare internal temperature of 135 degrees F.
  7. Remove steak and rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing against the grain.

Grilled Top Sirloin:

1. Before hitting the grill, make sure your steak comes up to room temperature. This will help it cook more evenly. Prep your grill by getting it very hot. Keep the lid closed up until the moment you place the steak on the grill. You’re looking for a hard sear to seal in the juices.
  2. Using a good pair of tongs, quickly lay the steak on the grill, protecting yourself in the event that the addition of fats and oils causes a flare-up. Set your timer and wait: in order to get a good sear, you won’t want to move the steak for a few minutes.
  3. Cooking times vary based on temperature preference, but for medium rare: a 1-inch steak takes about 4-5 minutes a side, and a 2-inch steak about 9 minutes a side.
  4. If you’re looking to create professional grill marks, turn the steak at a 45-degree angle a quarter of the way through cooking. Then flip at the halfway mark, and repeat the process.
  5. Use a meat thermometer to check if it’s done. A medium-rare steak should be pulled between the internal temperature 130-135 degrees.
  6. Let it Rest: Resting it for at least 5 minutes allows the juices to redistribute within the steak instead of bleeding out as its cut, resulting in an amazingly juicy steak.

Hi Stew,

This is one of my favorite cuts, and Jory is right on with his response. I also love to do BBQ version on the tri-tip. I’ll salt and add my favorite BBQ seasoning to the steak and then let it rest for a few minutes. Once rested, I’ll quickly sear it in an oven safe pan. Once seared, I’ll brush some BBQ sauce over the top and place in a hot over (400-425) and cook for a few minutes, or until the sauce mostly sets. Then I’ll flip it, apply some more BBQ sauce to that side, and cook for a few more minutes until your desired doneness. If the BBQ sauce starts to get too dark, simply flip and add some more :slight_smile: Then I’ll remove it from the oven and let it rest for at least 10 minutes. Then just slice against the grain and enjoy!

Happy Cooking,
James