James’ Bulgogi Style Burgers

Disclaimer #1: This is a rough idea of how I made these burgers. Often times when cooking, I estimate a teaspoon, use a dash, and season to the taste of myself and my family. This “recipe” is more of a guide than a map. I highly recommend tasting as you go along (just maybe avoid tasting the raw meat…)

Disclaimer #2: I was heavily inspired by this recipe for the Bulgogi sauce. The gochujang mayo, pickled cabbage, and cooking methods were my creation though.

Ingredients:

Burger Patties:
2lbs of Walden’s ground beef, or 2 packs of premade beef patties

Add Walden ground beef to your share here!

Bulgogi Sauce:
½ Cup Soy Sauce
1 ½ Tablespoons gochujang Sauce
½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
½ teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoons dark sesame seed oil
¼ cup lightly packed brown sugar.

Red Cabbage Slaw
3 cups shredded Red cabbage
¼ Rice Wine Vinegar
½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 Teaspoon Honey
Salt + Pepper to Taste
½ Cup olive oil

Gochujang Mayo
½ Mayo
¼ Cup ketchup
2 Tablespoons gochujang Sauce

6 Hamburger buns of your choice. I used Brioche.

Instructions:

Bulgogi Sauce:

1. Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan, and whisk together
  2. Set over medium to medium high heat and bring to a boil and quickly reduce to a simmer, Stir often and reduce until thick enough to coat a back of a spoon.
  3. Remove from heat and set aside

Red cabbage:

1. In a 2 cup or larger measuring cup, combine all ingredients
  2. Whisk until combined, then taste an adjust seasoning as needed
  3. Once seasoning is set, pour half over the cabbage, and using your hands, massage the vinaigrette into the cabbage. Taste and add more dressing if necessary. The cabbage should be fully coated, but not soggy.

Mayo

1. Combine all ingredients and stir together.
  2. Taste and adjust as necessary

Burgers:
If cooking on a grill, then have a hot and cool side. Sear the burgers on the hot side, then transfer to the cooler side. Apply the Bulgogi sauce then flip. Add to the other side. Repeat 2 to 3 times until the sauce has built up a nice crust.

1. Turn the broiler to high with a rack halfway down. Prep a half sheet pan with some tinfoil or parchment paper, and a wire rack sprayed with a nonstick spray. The Bulgogi sauce can get sticky and the parchment paper makes for easier clean up.
  2. Remove the patties from the package, or form 6 patties for the 2lbs of ground beef.
  3. Heat a larger skillet over high heat. Once hot sear 3 burgers at a time, getting a nice crust on both sides. Add to the wire rack and repeat with remaining patties.
  4. Brush the tops of all burgers with Bulgogi sauce. Add to under the broiler, on the middle rack, and broil for 1-3 minutes. The time will vary depending on how hot/intense your broiler is. Broil until the sauce is set, darker, but not burnt. Flip and repeat the process
  5. Repeat adding the sauce for about 3 times, or until there is a nice layer of sauce built up and the burgers are cooked through.
  6. Remove from oven add to a plate for serving.

Assemble the Burgers

1. Lightly toast the buns
  2. Add Mayo to both sides
  3. Add Red cabbage to bottom bun, then the burgers, and add some lettuce if you’d like.
  4. Serve with fries, chips, or a salad if you made a new years resolution to be healthier.

Notes:

1. Be careful with the broiler. Depending on your stoves age, make/model, and how close the burgers are heating unit. If you don’t often use the broiler often, keep an eye on the burgers so they don’t go up in flames.
  2. Don’t save any extra Bulgogi sauce since the pastry brush was in contact with raw meat.

Wow! This looks amazing. Thank you very much for posting the recipe. I will be giving it a try

1 Like