Wing Recipes from Walden Local Butcher, Tony Sudak!

Everyone Loves Wings!

Walden Local Butcher, Tony Sudak shares two different wing recipes and tips!

Like most red blooded Americans, I love to have wings for the super bowl! They rank highly on my list of essential superbowl foods to have or to bring to a superbowl party! Here are a few different variations of the wings that I have done in the past that I am sure will be a welcomed addition to your big game spread!

Note: the following recipes employ the “party style” wings, that is the wings that have the drum and flat connected. You are more than welcome to split them. I just prefer them that way for ease of use and they look more substantial then when the parts are separated. This is also how our wings come in Walden Local Shares.

Try Our Pasture-Raised Chicken Wings Here!

Roasted Garlic Buffalo Wings

Ingredients:

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to around 400 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, stir the garlic, onion, salt and pepper together. Lay the wings on a baking sheet that is slightly greased so the wings do not stick to the pan. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle the seasoning over the wings and toss to make sure that the seasoning gets contact with all of the wings. Put the wings in the oven and cook until crispy and fully cooked.
  2. While the wings are cooking make the sauce. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat and add the garlic cloves to the butter. Cook until the garlic cloves are golden brown and remove from the butter (SAVE THE BUTTER DO NOT THROW IT AWAY!).
  3. Add the hot sauce to a blender and start it on low speed. Add the garlic and let spin until it is a smooth mixture. You may have to increase the speed if you find that it is slowing down and that’s fine. Increase the speed to medium and slowly drizzle in the butter to emulsify it will change color from a red to a more orange color. Once all the butter is incorporated, stop the blender and season with salt.
  4. Once the wings are cooked, remove from the oven and place in a big serving bowl. Do not put the sauce directly on the wings, if the wings are still super hot, this could cause the sauce to break. Drizzle the sauce around the bowl and toss the wings around in the sauce. This method will help each wing become nice and coated while maintaining the integrity of the wings and of the sauce. Serve with your favorite bleu cheese dressing and a lot of napkins!

Cacio e Pepe Wings

Cacio e Pepe is a super traditional pasta dish in Rome. It translates to Cheese (Cacio - Ca-CHI-Oh) and Pepper (Pepe). I thought it would translate quite well with chicken wings as a medium here instead of pasta.

Ingredients:

• 5# Walden Local Pasture-Raised Chicken Wings
  • ½ cup whole black peppercorns
  • 1 cup ( around 8 oz chunk) high quality pecorino romano cheese (DO NOT skimp here and grab a shaker from the supermarket! Get a good block of pecorino romano from your local cheese shop and grate it finely yourself, it will be a superior end product.)
  • ½ cup of Walden Local butter - melted
  • Canola Oil
  • Salt to taste

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. While the oven is heating, add the peppercorns to a saute pan and toast the peppercorns over medium high heat until fragrant, about 5 mins.
  2. Remove from the pan and grind in a spice grinder until roughly smooth. Grate the cheese with the finest side of a box grater and set aside.
  3. Toss the wings with the canola oil and salt, and bake until fully cooked and crispy with the internal temp around 158 degrees F. Once the wings are cooked, remove from the oven and let rest.
  4. Melt the butter, in a saute pan over medium heat add the ground peppercorns and cook for 2-3 mins.
  5. Put the chicken wings in a bowl and pour the butter/pepper mixture and half the cheese and toss. Serve on a platter and top with the rest of the cheese and if there are any drippings from the bowl pour that over the wings as well! Serve hot!

I like these seasoning ideas
I have what I think is a bit of an unusual prep trick to getting super crispy chicken skin
Works for wings, legs, even whole chickens
First, preheat the oven to 450
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil as if you were making pasta. Make sure the pot is big enough to hold both the water and the chicken before you start so it does not overflow when you start adding the chicken to it, but also that the water will be high enough to fully submerge all the chicken with room to spare.
Put the chicken in the boiling water to parboil about 7 minutes for wings, 10 for legs, and 15 for a whole chicken
Drain and dry the chicken off really well with paper towels
For wings or legs, you can bake them on a sheet tray with parchment paper or a silicone mat with no extra oil needed
For wings and legs, 25 minutes, flip, 10 more minutes
For a whole chicken, 25 minutes and then lower the temp to 350 till it hits 160 in the breast

2 Likes

Great tips! Thanks so much for sharing!

I’ll have to give this a try!

These wings sound delicious, Tony! The Roasted Garlic Buffalo Wings and the Cacio e Pepe Wings both sound like unique and flavorful variations on the classic chicken wings. I like to combine wings with a cheesy potato flower recipe. The step-by-step instructions are easy to follow and the use of pasture-raised chicken wings adds an extra layer of quality to the dishes. The emphasis on using high-quality ingredients, such as a block of pecorino romano cheese, is a great tip and will definitely enhance the overall flavor of the Cacio e Pepe Wings. I can’t wait to try these recipes out!

1 Like